Tuesday, February 24, 2009

In Limbo

My twin sister, Karole, my guardian angel

Grant helped me lug in the suitcases and bags to the Isolation Unit whereupon we found hat these wasn't a room available for me. We were taken to the family room to wait. After having visualised setting up my own nurturing space, over the last two weeks, it was upsetting to find myself in limbo. I began hoping the whole thing would be delayed and started planning a trip overseas; after all, everything was packed. But no, it was decided that I would spend my time in the Procedure Room amongst shelves and boxes and various paraphernalia until a room became free.

It eventuated that two other patients have taken longer to become well enough to be discharged. And changing the date would interfere with the next lot of patients plans. I decided that having it been me, I would appreciate the same level of consideration if I was in their predicament.

Grant sat with me as I hunkered down and left everything in cases and bags longing for a more permanent solution.

My sister, Karole, arrived to hold my hand in the lead up to the central venous line insertion. Drowsy drugs were administered and after 45 minutes of tugging and pushing, with little discomfort thankfully, I now sport a 3 lumen line over my right breast. Any blood tests or drug infusion can be applied through these, which means no needle pricks until it is removed in the next four months or so.

At six o'clock the chemotherapy started. This consisted of an anti-nausea drug, first, and then swallowing 37 little white tablets. Apparently some people have real trouble with this, but for me (having become accustomed to taking many vitamins daily) it was a piece of cake. After that came the many blood pressure, temperature and pulse tests. These 37 pills will be administered every six hours over the first week.

In the afternoon Neri arrived with a lovely bunch of silk flowers and a wonderful collage poster she has been making over the last month, unbeknown to me. It transpires that the large book she has been carrying around on her social occasions transported the poster inside, in order to procure the get well messages from friends and family. I was overcome at the lengths she has gone to so that her mum feels supported and cared for.

A comfortable evening was spent in my first night of solitary confinement.



No comments:

Post a Comment